Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Motives are weighted by the Lord!



NIV Proverbs 16:2 All a person's ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the Lord.



To be honest, I don't like writing self review for performance appraisal at work. I felt a little bit embarrassed when I tried to write something to let others know what did I do well and what major achievement I made in the past year. My piece of work can end up with two extremes: I am boasting myself and telling others every single little things I have done is for others or my company's benefits, in other words, I see all the things I have done is excellent and contributing. I performed extraordinarily well when compared to others. The opposite is I think I am just an average staff and can't figure out any goodies I did nor I have helped the company to attain any goals. But most often I will complete my review same as in the first scenario.

This makes me think about a verse in NIV Proverbs 16:2 "All a person's ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the Lord." We have the tendency to rationalize or beautify our behavior, we will think what we have done is pure and right. But our Almighty God said He will only look at the motivations of our actions, so next time when we are doing "self-review", we will need to reflect on our initiatives of acts. Motives are always more important than others.

Lord, thank you for being our one and the only one God in the world. We know that you are righteous God that will look at our motives, help us to have a pure heart for everything we do to glorify your name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment